Environmental Tests : Radon in Air

Environmental Tests : Radon in Air


Radon is a radioactive gas which occurs in nature as a result of the radioactive decay of uranium. You cannot see it, smell it, or taste it. Radon can be found in high concentrations in soils and rocks containing uranium, and in water from residential wells.

Outdoor radon is diluted to such a low concentration that it is usually nothing to worry about. However, once inside an enclosed space such as a house, radon can accumulate. Indoor levels depend on both the house construction and the concentration of radon in the underlying soil and well water.

The EPA recommends corrective action for test results of 4 pCi/L and greater. Studies indicate that as many as one in five homes in the Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts may have elevated radon levels.

How Does Radon Get into the Home?
Radon is a gas which can move through small spaces in the soil and rock on which a house is built. Radon can seep into a home through dirt floors, pores and cracks in concrete, block walls, floor drains, sumps, and joints.

How Do I Test for Radon?
Tiger offers EPA approved testing with a Continuous Radon Monitor (CRM). The tests are administered by a Tiger Environmental Technician that is NRPP nationally certified and listed with the State of CT Radon Testing Protocol. The Continuous Radon Monitor (CRM) is an electronic radon testing device that is left in the home for a minimum of 48 hours, providing hourly radon readings. Our Environmental Technician will review the home for proper testing location/conditions, set the monitor and return to review the data and issue a report. There are several advantages to using the CRM over other approved devices: we can provide immediate results at the end of the testing period, the CRM will indicate tampering, it measures various time intervals and allows delayed start.

What if My Radon Level is Elevated?
There are simple and relatively inexpensive ways to rectify a high radon level in a home.
The EPA recommends corrective action for test results of 4 pCi/L and greater for testing within a real estate transaction. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels. If your radon test results indicate the need for corrective action, contact a qualified radon mitigation contractor. For information on mitigation techniques and licensed contractors check with the state Radon office or visit Tiger’s Contractor Network.

For more information on Radon:

Send Me Tiger's Latest Promotion...Click Here